Monday, March 10, 2008

A Lazy, Rainy Day

This morning started with the thunderstorms the weather reports had promised, but it's settling into one of those drippy days -- not enough rain to keep me indoors, but too much to allow me to really do anything once I get outside. So, I think this last day of my three-day weekend will be a lazy one. The cat in the photo to the right is Oliver. He insisted on going out last night at midnight and just came back in, all drippy.

I did get some things accomplished this weekend. Another of the poor cottoneasters that drowned in last year's rainy summer has been pulled out, and the others have been cut back to their bare skeletons. They'll be easy enough to dig out as time goes on.

One of them won't be able to come out, though. There's a volunteer native bi-color lantana that's grown up alongside it's trunk, and I won't be able to dig out the cottoneaster without digging up the lantana as well. Oddly, the lantana complements my Patchwork wallflowers almost perfectly. Serendipity in the garden, I suppose. Assuming it doesn't grow out of bounds and eat the wallflowers, that is.

I moved one of the daylilies, too. I didn't realize it was so much shorter than the others when I bought it and planted it too close to a much larger daylily; it's been moved to the front of the bed where it can be seen once it decides to bloom for me.

As you can see from the pictures attached to this post, I also got some painting done in the kitchen. (For those who don't know, it used to be this sort of dingy peach color.) It's not completely finished, but it's getting there. Only the half-wall behind the stove and refrigerator is left. No, I don't plan to pull the refrigerator and stove out to do the entire wall. Call me lazy, if you wish. There are also the bits around the ceiling that I just can't reach, even from a chair. I'm hoping that my daughter's boyfriend can be imposed upon to aid the vertically challenged.


So, now my plans for the day are to drink hot tea, make some nice, low fat turkey chili for my dinners at work for the rest of the week, bake that butternut squash in the veggie bowl, and knit a new dishcloth. One of the ladies on my dishcloth list emailed a link to a blog called To Knit is Divine and a pattern called Diagonal Ripple Dishcloth. It's very pretty, and I can't wait to try it. The rest of Leanne's blog is also very interesting; I plan to return fairly frequently to see what she's up to.

No comments: