Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nocturnal Visitations


Look who came to visit late last night - or was it early this morning? Either way, a sphinx moth popped in through the open window and bounced around the living room until I turned off the light and he found his way back out to the porch. Some one else who has done much more research than I has a wonderful post on sphinx moths, here.

We had another visit last night as well from a katydid. Selkie had a great time stalking him all over the living room. Don't worry, the katydid was never in danger. This first picture is the closest Selkie got. The katydid is up on the window sill.


2 comments:

Haggatha said...

Hi Patricia, Wow, how lucky you are to see such a beautiful moth. I just have a special place in my heart for them. I found a few years ago a huge lunar moth, and I was so excited. I couldn't stop watching it. LOL. I love your fur babies too. such sweet lovers they are. well, I'm off to whatever, have a nice day. Let me know if you capture anymore pics of the moths.
Sandy

Patricia said...

Thanks, Sandy, I love moths, too. I saw the big lunas around Houston when I was a girl, but not since then. The sphinx came back a few nights later to visit again briefly, then flew back out the window.